As an IT professional, you’ll often be required to communicate policies, standards, and practices in the
workplace. For this assignment, you’ll practice this important task by taking on the role of an IT
professional charged with creating a memo to communicate your company’s new security strategy.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Analyze the importance of network architecture to security operations.
• Apply information security standards to real-world implementation.
• Communicate how problem-solving concepts are applied in a business environment.
• Use information resources to research issues in information systems security.
• Write clearly about network security topics using proper writing mechanics and business formats.
1. Review the essential elements of a security strategy
A successful IT administration strategy requires the continuous enforcement of policies, standards, and
practices (procedures) within the organization. Review these elements to see how they compare:
Policy The general statements that direct the organization’s internal and external
communication and goals.
Standards Describe the requirements of a given activity related to the policy. They are more
detailed and specific than policies. In effect, standards are rules that evaluate the
quality of the activity. For example, standards define the structure of the password
and the numbers, letters, and special characters that must be used in order to
create a password.
Practices The written instructions that describe a series of steps to be followed during the
performance of a given activity. Practices must support and enhance the work
environment. Also referred to as procedures.
2. Describe the business environment
You are the IT professional in charge of security for a company that has recently opened within a
shopping mall. Describe the current IT environment at this business. You can draw details from a
company you work for now or for which you have worked in the past. You’ll need to get creative and
identify the details about this business that will influence the policies you’ll create. For example, does the
company allow cell phone email apps? Does the company allow web mail? If so, how will this affect the
mobile computing policy? Describe all the details about this business environment that will be necessary
to support your strategy.