For this discussion, you will create a table like the one below, comparing and contrasting at least 5 elements of quantitative and qualitative research. Additionally, please provide one example of when you would use a qualitative approach vs. a quantitative approach to study a health/health care-related topic. Example: Qualitative approach would be used to study the experience of living with a tracheostomy. Quantitative approach would be used to study the effectiveness of various tracheostomy cleaning solutions. You CANNOT use the examples used below:
Includes interviews, open-ended questions, and focus groups
Uses research questions to guide the research
Includes primarily surveys, observations, and reviews of records
Uses hypotheses to guide the research
An easier way to make a table in the discussion board is to create it in a Word document as you type your initial post. Then cut and paste it using Ctrl C + Ctrl V (Windows Users), or Cmd ⌘ C + Cmd ⌘ V (Mac users) into a new thread in the forum.
Your initial post must be posted before you can view and respond to colleagues, must contain minimum of two (2) references, in addition to examples from your personal experiences to augment the topic. The goal is to make your post interesting and engaging so others will want to read/respond to it. Synthesize and summarize from your resources in order to avoid the use of direct quotes, which can often be dry and boring. No direct quotes are allowed in the discussion board posts.
Post a thoughtful response to at least two (2) other colleagues’ initial postings. Responses to colleagues should be supportive and helpful (examples of an acceptable comment are: “This is interesting – in my practice, we treated or resolved (diagnosis or issue) with (x, y, z meds, theory, management principle) and according to the literature…” and add supportive reference. Avoid comments such as “I agree” or “good comment.”
- Identify the differences between qualitative and quantitative research
- Identify types of research questions to be studied with qualitative versus quantitative method
- Initial Post: Fri, May 21 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US.
- Response Post: Sun, May 23 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US – (the response posts cannot be done on the same day as the initial post).
- Initial Post: Minimum of two (2) total references: one (1) from required course materials and one (1) from peer-reviewed references.
- Response posts: Minimum of one (1) total reference: one (1) from peer-reviewed or course materials reference per response.
- Initial Post: Minimum 200 words excluding references (approximately one (1) page)
- Response posts: Minimum 100 words excluding references.