- Who gave the Renaissance its first candid picture of human nature with the idealism of medievalism and humanism stripped away.
- During the 1200’s Popes would employ a military force to combat heresy and use this judicial process to eradicate heresy within the Western culture.
13th century eradication
War of the 1200’s
- Who wrote Don Quizote?
- What century was the Washington National Cathedral built in?
- According to the chart in your textbook, which of these types of literature occurs last?
Fables and Fabliaux
- This poem is about a warrior from southern Sweden who sails to his uncle’s court in Denmark where he slays the monster, Grendel.
Song of Roland
- In the 13th century who also criticized reliance on deductive logic and metaphysical speculations and urged scientists to adopt an inductive investigation method involving observation and experimentation with appropriate instruments and methods, rather than mere reasoning?
- Michelangelo’s statue standing as a representation of Humanism as it’s proud self.
Adoration of the Lamb
- Perhaps the best example of the early Gothic style of architecture is found in which city?
- During this time period there was literature for town dwellers as well as country folks. This type of literature was satirical poems depicting ordinary people in events of everyday life with vigorous and coarse humor while ridiculing conventional morality.
- Who wrote the Canterbury Tales in the 14th century?
- One important feature of medieval intellectual life was expanding interest in education, which culminated in a distinctive new institution the ____________
- Which word best describes the culture that gave rise to Romanesque architecture?
- Coexisting with feudalism on the lowest level of land division was the ___________system.
- By establishing order and stability in his lands, Charlemagne prepared the basis for a ninth-century flowering of cultural activity often termed the____________.
- The Carolingians also stimulated artistic activity. One of these was the development by painters that involved pictures within manuscript pages called _______________.
- Consisted a hero of the Renaissance, who wrote Utopia. Lived from 1478-1535.
- According to the chart in your Textbook. What are the years of the Renaissance?
- Who wrote the Divine Comedy, which delineated the options available to mankind?
- Who wished to give the church a new choir and ambulatory, one that would be full of light—symbolic of the presence of God, through Gothic architecture?
- The shift from the medieval to the modern world can be described simply as the shift from a vertical to a horizontal model of reality.
- The so-called Children’s Crusade was the only crusade that was “successful” in any meaningful sense.
- Despite the authority of the medieval Catholic church, there was a tremendous amount of diversity within medieval literature.
- Romanesque Architecture developed from the Gothic Architecture.
- Gothic cathedrals were considerably darker than Romanesque cathedrals, and would develop before Romanesque cathedrals.
- The Arabic Muslims had destroyed all of the Greek writings of antiquity making it difficult for the Crusaders to find.
- The heliocentric model of the universe was developed by Bacon.
- Not many churches were built during the 11th century because of the lack of money.
- During the period between 1000–1350, the economy of Europe did not develop much because of little technology being developed.
- Religious architecture was the primary European artistic activity.