The state legislature recognizes the need to focus efforts and resources on criminal justice reform. Acting as a state policy analyst and building on the annotated bibliography and literature review you have completed, propose 2 policy alternatives to address criminal justice reform.
Your readings in the course have exposed you to many of the key topics in criminal justice while showing you the importance of research and theories to the development of sound policies. You have seen how the writing in the text and other sources is not mere opinion or unsupported assertions. Rather, the work is built upon existing knowledge and contemporary studies.
As you consider how to advise the legislature on how to address criminal justice reform in your state, you must rely on factual information and utilize a theoretical foundation. Criminal behavior results from a variety of factors explained through various theoretical perspectives. One or more theories may draw your attention as instructive about the issues surrounding criminal behavior. Have these theories been supported by research?
You are a policy analyst in the legislative affairs office of your state legislature. The criminal justice committee of the legislature has requested recommendations about how to address criminal justice reform in the state. You must conduct research and assemble 2 possible policy initiatives in your proposal. Use the 7 step process outlined in the MUSE link, CHDS Policy Options Analysis. Include the 7 steps in your proposal.
- Define the Problem
- Construct Alternative Solutions
- Criteria for Judging Success of Proposed Solutions
- Projected outcomes for alternative Solutions
- Analyze Trade-Offs for Solutions
- Choose Best Solutions
- Explain Recommendations.
Address the following in 3–4 pages:
- Prepare a professional policy memo to the criminal justice committee outlining the actions to be taken, funding sources, and implementation challenges that may arise for each alternative.
- Compare and contrast the two policy recommendations.
- How would you evaluate whether either policy was successful after it was implemented?
- How will you utilize your research from the first 3 weeks? Explain.