Listed below are your three choices for this assignment. Please click on the assignment and then choose only ONE to complete your work. Each represents a significant composer in the history of western music and one of their notable compositions. The purpose of this assignment is to bring to your attention different vocabulary terms and their meanings and to help you understand the basic structure of a few archetypical genres in music. Once you have made your decision then scroll down to the list of question which you will need to answer. If your assignment needs a revision I will comment back to you and then open another attempt within which you can submit your work.
Please write your answers directly into the “Assignment Submission” section below my questions. Please do not submit your assignment as an attachment.
La Stravaganza Op. 4 Concerto No. 1
Wolfgang Amadues Mozart
Johann Sebastian Bach
French Suite No.1 in D minor
1. Please list the year in which the chosen composer was born and the year in which they died. Also, please list their country of birth. (3 points)
2. Please list the time period in which your chosen composer was alive. Here are your choices: (1 point)
3. Define the the genre you have chosen. For Vivaldi you will be defining the term “Concerto”, if you chose Mozart you will be defining the term “Symphony”, and for Bach you will be looking for the definition of “Suite”. I suggest using the provided link in your Vocabulary Quiz Study Guides to Dolmetsch. You are of course free to explore any possible definiton you can find. You may need to refine it as you search further, but this is a part of the learning process. (4 points)
4. List the number of movements (sections) that your chosen composition contains. Each piece of music for this assignment has multiple sections which we call “movements”. Once you look up the specific piece of music you will find them clearly listed. Honestly, Wikipedia is agreat source for this general information. The movements will be numbered and named with a tempo marking, or a dance name in the case of Bach.
Tempo is a vocabulary term in this course and it means the speed at which the music is performed. The terms will look like :allegro, andante, largo, etc. There can be other words combined with them but this is your job to unlock the meaning and provide an answer. Once again Dolmetsch is my suggested choice for a clear and correct definition.
* For those who choose the composition by Bach please be aware the the French Suite No. 1 will have different types of names for movements. These are not tempo markings but instead names of dances. In this case you will briefly define each dance. They should look like: Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, etc. (4 points)
5. Does the information that you have found from question 4 match with your initial defintion from question 3? This is a critical part of the assignment. You have to compare the available definition to your facts and see if they are compatible. In doing so you will have critically assessed a piece of music and, perhaps, understand a little bit more about the terms in this course. Please answer shortly in 100 words or less. (4 points)