Technology and its impact on the admission of evidence
Facial recognition software has come a long way in a short period of time, and is believed by many to provide a technological boost to law enforcement’s ability to identify potential suspects. One of the problems law enforcement often faces today is the availability of photo or video images from a crime, but no way to effectively identify an individual shown on the photo or video.
- research facial recognition software, its reliability, effectiveness, and admissibility.
- Share with your classmates what you’ve learned about facial recognition software.
- In addition to your general discussion on facial recognition software, please answer the following questions:
- Is there a consensus in the scientific community on the reliability of facial recognition software?
- Are there any courts that have admitted evidence based on facial recognition software?
- How have courts traditionally dealt with new technologies and their evidentiary impact on the criminal trial?
- What, if any, barriers stand in the way of courts using facial recognition software?
- Do you believe that the admission of evidence based on facial recognition software will ever become commonplace in our criminal justice system? Why or why not.