W7- : Discussion: Safe Prescribing
In 1915, the Drug Enforcement Administration was formed, known then as the Bureau of Internal Revenue. Recognizing the variance in state laws and the process for completing applications for prescriptive authority and DEA registration is essential to the role of the NP as a prescriber. Within the last decade, safe prescribing of opioids has also become a national concern. For this
Discussion, you will:
1. focus on the process for obtaining prescriptive authority after successfully completing your program of study and passing a National Certification Exam. 2.
2. You also will explore safe prescribing.
· 3. Review your (TEXAS) state’s process for obtaining prescriptive authority and associated fees
· 4. Review the DEA website and review the process for obtaining a DEA number and associated fees.
· 5. Review and select the following case studies and 6. analyze the provider information:
o Case Study One: Lori, FNP-BC, is a new graduate and has recently passed her certification exam. She has just been hired to work for a Primary Care Clinic in a small town. She will be working with one physician at one site.
1. brief summary of your case study and
2. an explanation of the appropriate prescriptive authority and
3. DEA registration process needed for the above case study you selected.
4. Then, explain the safe prescribing practices that these providers should use for these settings.
WRITE 1 PAGE
USE provided references
Due tomorrow 1.07.2018
Buppert, C. (2018). Nurse practitioner’s business practice and legal guide (6th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Bartlett & Jones Learning.
Chapter 5, “Prescribing” (pp. 203-207)This chapter covers prescribing as an advanced practice nurse.
U.S. Department of Justice (n.d.). Drug Enforcement Administration: Office of Diversion Control. Retrieved from http://https://www.dea.gov/ops/diversion.shtml
This resource guides you on a federal level to enforce safe prescribing of controlled drugs.
Fisher, A. S. (2015, June 5). Medical Records: What Must Be Included from a Legal Standpoint? [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euhoL62YsSk
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 7 minutes.
Hagan, P. C., & Ransdell, M. (2015). “Do not fill until”…… Not a legal solution! KBN Connection, Spring(43), 8-10. Retrieved from http://kbn.ky.gov/online-forms/Documents/Spr15_0116.pdf
The post Review your (TEXAS) state’s process for obtaining prescriptive authority and associated fees appeared first on MBA Nursing Papers.