You have a 4-bed intensive care unit and 7 patients who need a bed. The following are the 7 patients. You cannot select on the basis of first come, first served, as they showed up at your door at exactly the same time.:
1. Mr. Jones, a 75-year-old patient with chronic emphysema. He is retired and a DNR order.
2. Mr. Smith, a 27-year-old hemophiliac with AIDS contracted from a transfusion of contaminated blood.
3. Mr. Jackson, a 65-year-old Army general with congestive heart failure.
4. Mrs. Ronald, a 52-year-old housewife who is an alcoholic with acute liver disease.
5. Ms. Charles, a 23-year-old college student in a persistent coma following and alcohol/drug overdose at a party.
6. Donald Child, a 12-year-old with head trauma and in a persistent vegetative state, following a beating by his stepfather.
7. Joey Scott, a teenager with severe Down’s syndrome with a mental age of 5 years. He is suffering from aspiration pneumonia.